Friday, January 9, 2009

Smiley Face Cops

If you have any doubt that what our friends are talking about is a real story, check out the picture below. For this month, in a trial period that may be extended indefinitely, this is what you'll see if you get pulled over in Thailand.



For you younger readers...sorry about the dated Rodney King reference. Unfortunately, none of the people who have been beaten down by the cops on tape lately have the name recognition of Rodney.

I have a feeling this is one of those episodes that will be quietly appreciated and yet get zero comments. I understand -- what else is there to say? But there's something a little sad about that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll bite.... If you hadn't shown the photo, I'd have suspected you were trying to pull one over on us. It is kind of creepy, though, kind of clockworkorangish

Jeremy said...

Holy shit that's creepy!!!

I would probabaly scream like a little girl too. I am assuming that in Thailand the masks are becuase the air is dirty, and they just painted smily face on it?

Anonymous said...

I like the, "-pause-...with laughter."

And I was going to post this comment before I read the last paragraph.

Mel2 said...

Holy crap that's creepy. I wouldn't be surprised if local police did wind up wearing smiley face masks. Look at all the benefits: 1) You're on record as looking cheerful all the time. 2) You inhale less carbon monoxide. 3) Victims of police brutality can't pick you out of a lineup.

ldisme said...

seiously (?) funny world we live in, not to mention weird

Dave Stratton said...

Guess I was wrong about "zero comments." The actual article about this insanity can be found here.

munchy365 said...

That is creepy as hell.

confused said...

Being that I don't like clowns, having one of them walk up to my car would freak me out. Interesting concept, weird execution.

Truth surely is stranger than fiction.

cheezencrackers said...

Smiley face masked cops (how the hell do you properly hyphenate that phrase?). Brought to you by the folks who invented elephant polo. Which reminds me, I just read that a team from NYC has won the world elephant polo title. No kiddin'.

Oh, man. I hope I didn't just expose a future Deadpan topic.