Friday, May 1, 2009

Luck

An innovation consulting firm that I follow on Twitter tweeted the Henry Ford quote that inspired this article. My opinion of it is the same as my opinion about most homilies. They are all both true and untrue. For nearly every proverb, you can find another proverb with the opposite meaning. Which one is true? Life is too complex for any of these sayings to be true in every situation.



There was a fascinating movie made about this subject titled 13 Conversations About One Thing. I highly recommend it. It gets rather grim, but there is an incident at the end that is so hopeful it moved me to tears. If you enjoy thought-provoking movies, do check it out.

I haven't read it yet (it's on my list), but I understand Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell has some interesting thoughts on the subject of luck and success.

Anyone have examples of contradictory proverbs? I'll start. Haste makes waste. He who hesitates is lost. Which is it?

5 comments:

BlueRaja said...

I haven't read Outliers, but I read "The Tipping Point," and it was terrible. Though it was incredibly well-researched, all the research he presented had nothing to do with the point he was trying to make. Interesting, but pointless.

Les Overhead said...

Okay, this is weird. Just moments ago I sent an email to a client about a website I wrote. It turned out well...and I mentioned that "..of course, some luck is always involved. But we make our own luck, right?" My words verbatim. Then I go to Dead Pan and Luck is the subject...and you counter my we make our own luck argument. How did you do that? Can you see into the future? What will I be pondering tomorrow at this time? You crack me up. Keep it up.

Reine said...

Well, the closest applicable axiom I can think would be "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." I think "luck" works in much the same way. One of those slippery, zen/tao things (and I'm with Brad on punching out a Zen master btw). That which you pursue, typically, you lose. Why does the universe have to be so damn difficult?
Now I have to see 13 coversations ... movie.
My calendar floweth over.

Unknown said...

The meek shall inherit the Earth... Only the strong survive.
Hmm...
The schizo shall make the quotes!!

Red Pill Junkie said...

I dunno... it might be my subconscious rationalizing my mediocre accomplishments, but I don't believe in luck... and I also don't believe in coincidences.

I'ts all a really weird combination of free will that ultimetly leads to your destiny. Very Forrest Gumpish I know... but I'd be the happiest man in the world if I knew what is it that I'm supposed to do on this Earth.

Although... if I'm right... whether I learn my role won't matther in the end;it would only matter to make me a happy person, in knowing I'm fulfillin my role.

I do not pretend to know the answer to such queries. Yet I'm still looking.