Hard-core karaoke in the Philippines.
From what I can gather from my research (the New York Times article I read) here are the factors that contributed to this social phenomenon:
1. There are about a million illegal guns in the Philippines.
2. For economic reasons, many Filipino wives have to work out of the country as maids in wealthier countries, leaving a lot of lonely guys at home with nothing to do but go out to the karaoke bars.
3. The country is crazy for karaoke--you can't go to a public gathering without someone breaking out the karaoke machine.
4. There are strict rules for karaoke there (you must not laugh while someone is singing, you must not sing a song already sung by someone else), and breaking the rules can start a fight.
5. Singing "My Way" makes you look like an arrogant ass.
So there, you learned something today. You're welcome.
As a special treat, here's a great version of "My Way" by the original artist.