Friday, July 24, 2009

Cops

In this episode, Brad calls out a Cambridge police sergeant for a pussy move. I hope none of the police in my town see this. Did I mention that I live in Billings, Montana? I'm never anywhere near the state of Illinois, so don't bother looking for me there.



Before you start writing a comment in furious defense of police officers everywhere, let me just say that I have the utmost respect and admiration for these people that do a tough, often thankless, heroic job. But it's also clear that too many people in positions of authority (cops, judges, teachers, customer service reps at Best Buy, etc.) let their personal feelings about a person influence their treatment of that person. If you're pulled over for speeding, are you more or less likely to get a ticket if you call the officer a dickweed*? Should you? What does calling him a dickweed have to do with how fast you were going? The good ones at least try to remain professional and not let their personal feelings affect how they enforce the law.

Sgt. Crowley could have said, "I was insulted by what Prof. Gates was saying to me, which may have led me to make an arrest that wasn't really necessary, and for that I apologize." But instead, he dug in his heels and insisted he did nothing wrong, so that makes him a dickweed. (And a pussy for not having a thicker skin in the first place.)

By the way, I've decided to change my approach to this blog. Up until now, I have been dutifully turning out five a week in a effort to suck you into a DI habit. Now that there's a good body of work here, and I have other distractions (like nice weather outside), I've decided to only post a clip when I have something I really want to say. That means the frequency may drop as low as once a week. There will probably be less stupid, pointless jokes, unless I come up with one that's really funny. I hope those of you who have made visiting this little Internet attraction a regular part of your day aren't too disappointed, and you'll continue to watch for new episodes and share them with your friends. You're the best.

*The dickweed is an actual plant. It's one of those words that sounds dirty but isn't really.

3 comments:

Red Pill Junkie said...

No Deadpan Daily?? You're such a dickweed!! :-P

I understand; have fun outside —I hear they have this giant ball of fire hanging from the sky, The sun they call it? Imagine that...

Unknown said...

I have to agree, from all that I have read about this fiasco, Both men are at fault, but the cops are more at fault. Either way you slice it, 2 educated and responsible adults had a bad day, and made each other look like total fools.

Anonymous said...

Please take all the time you need off to cultivate these gems. It'll be interesting to see what develops when you re-approach it with a rested mind & a suntan.

By the way, I live for the stupid pointless jokes. Maybe because everything has its place in the grand design. Then again, humor in males our age always seems to have a solid foundation and revert to things that made us laugh at 14 years of age.
A pure & free unbridled time, just before we realized that we'd have a better chance of getting girls if we roped in the fart jokes.

Turns out, the girl that ended up being the most attractive, were the ones felt most comfortable in their own skin and could actually get the nuances of any humor and add something to top it.

Somehow, because of your last post, I keep on thinking about the film, "Oh God" with George Burns & John Denver. A sweet and almost sad film, as I recall. I definitely have to revisit it.

Anyway... with all that's going on in the world,
I have an easier and more enjoyable time contemplating the universe and "grand design", if it all came from a vaudeville trained higher power that smoked cigars and loved his Gracie.

Thanks, & all the best.